Genesis 26:34 (NIV) "When Esau was forty years old, he married Judith daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and also Basemath daughter of Elon the Hittite. They were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebekah."
Genesis 36:1-3 (which was already written out above).
When we take all these Scriptures into account, there are these wives listed:
- Judith, daughter of Beeri the Hittite
- Oholibamah, daughter of Anah and grand-daughter of Zibeon the Hivite.
- Basemath, daughter of Ishmael and sister of Nebaioth (Ishmael's firstborn)
- Adah, daughter of Elon the Hittite
- Basemath, daughter of Elon the Hittite
- Mahalath, daughter of Ishmael and sister of Nebaioth (Ishmael's firstborn)
It is possible that Basemath (the one who is the daughter of Ishmael) and Mahalath (daughter of Ishmael) are the same person and a nickname is being used. Or, the two could be two different sisters of Nebaioth. However, there is an additional Basemath here who is the daughter of Elon the Hittite, so she cannot be the same person as Ishmael's daughter Basemath.
Verses 4-5 detail the sons who were born to some of these women: