I found this interesting article by Warren Doud about the Moabites. Some highlights:
- A description of the physical territory of Moab is given.
- Moab did not fight against Israel while they were neighbors for 300 years.
- However, Moab is accused in Deuteronomy 2:29 of lacking hospitality and hiring Balaam to curse Israel.
- There is no direct prohibition against marrying a Moabite. The prohibition was against marrying Canaanites.
- At times, the Lord used Moab to chasten the Israelites.
- Twice, the Moabites used their daughters to entice the Israelites.[This is kind of ironic, considering how Moab came to exist.]
- Josephus speaks of Moab as a great nation even up until Roman times.
- The Moabite language was a dialect of Hebrew, displaying similarities in thought as well as grammar and syntax.