Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gumby

Remember Gumby? Like many children growing up in the sixties and seventies, Gumby was a part of my TV viewing. I didn't really watch all that much TV. I preferred playing outside. Yet, coming home after kindergarten, few things went better with a lunch of peanut butter and jelly on graham crackers, with apple slices and chocolate milk than a cartoon. I would laugh at the antics of this green figure skating around the screen with his faithful sidekick Pokey. Well, sadly, Gumby's creator--Art Clokey-- passed away recently. You can google some of the articles about this man for interesting details about his life. He also did the 'Davey and Goliath' series. (Heeey Daaaveeey) I loved the claymation and Gumby no doubt influenced my decision to pursue a film degree (with a great interest in animation). Thanks Gumby, and thanks Mr. Clokey for a great series. You are no doubt sitting up in heaven eating your favorite food, watching our antics and laughing. At least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment