Saturday, March 19, 2011

Genesis 41:50-52 Joseph is Blessed with Two Sons

"Before the years of famine came, two sons were born to Joseph by Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On.  Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, 'It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household.'  The second son he named Ephraim and said, 'It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering.' " (Genesis 41:50-52 NIV)
_________________________________

During the seven years of abundance, Joseph was given two sons.  Manasseh's name sounds like the Hebrew word for 'forget', and Ephraim's name sounds like the Hebrew for 'twice fruitful'.  It seems like Joseph has not completely forgotten about his Hebrew background.

We will hear a lot more about these sons as the story of this family, and the Hebrew people, continues.

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment