Friday, March 11, 2011

Genesis 40:9-15 The Cupbearer's Dream

"So the chief cupbearer told Joseph his dream.  He said to him, 'In my dream I saw a vine in front of me, and on the vine were three branches.  As soon as it budded, it blossomed, and its clusters ripened into grapes.  Pharaoh's cup was in my hand, and I took the grapes, squeezed them into Pharaoh's cup and put the cup in his hand.'

'This is what it means,' Joseph said to him, 'The three branches are three days.  Within three days Pharaoh will lift up your head and restore you to your position, and you will put Pharaoh's cup in his hand, just as you used to do when you were his cupbearer.  But when all goes well with you, remember me and show me kindness; mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison.  For I was forcibly carried off from the land of the Hebrews, and even here I have done nothing to deserve being put in a dungeon.'  (Genesis 40:9-15 NIV)
_______________________________

Joseph's interpretation of the cupbearer's dream is welcome news:  The man will soon be restored to his former position.

Joseph asks that his case be presented to Pharaoh when the cupbearer returns to his duties.  He explains how he had been carried off from Canaan and also that he does not deserve his current imprisonment.

I imagine that the soon-to-be released cupbearer was glad to promise Joseph his help.

No comments:

Post a Comment