Monday, June 29, 2015

Exodus 29:35-46

"Do for Aaron and his sons everything I have commanded you,
taking seven days to ordain them.
Sacrifice a bull each day as a sin offering to make atonement.
Purify the altar by making atonement for it,
and anoint it to consecrate it.
For seven days make atonement for the altar and consecrate it.
Then the altar will be most holy,
and whatever touches it will be holy.

This is what you are to offer on the altar regularly each day:
two lambs a year old.
Offer one in the morning and the other at twilight.
With the first lamb offer a tenth of an ephah of fine flour
mixed with a quarter of a hin of oil from pressed olives,
and a quarter of a hin of wine as a drink offering.
Sacrifice the other lamb at twilight with the same grain offering
and its drink offering as in the morning --
a pleasing aroma, an offering made to the LORD by fire.

For the generations to come this burnt offering is to be made regularly 
at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting before the LORD.
There I will meet you and speak to you;
there also I will meet with the Israelites,
and the place will be consecrated by my glory.

So I will consecrate the Tent of Meeting and the altar
and will consecrate Aaron and his sons to serve me as priests.
Then I will dwell among the Israelites and be their God.
They will know that I am the LORD their God,
who brought them out of Egypt so that I might dwell among them.
I am the LORD their God."
Exodus 29:35-46 (NIV)
__________________________________________________________

Some observations:
                   
  •      This is the start of the daily offerings.  The NIV Study Bible notes that these daily offerings were sometimes observed even during times of apostasy. (2 Kings 16:15)  King Ahaz ordered these offerings to be made upon a different altar, a new one styled after a pagan altar he had seen in Damascus.  (2 Kings 16:10)  It seems he had continued with this ritual of the daily offerings, yet added in other offerings and pagan practices. Of course this was just one example of his apostasy.
  •      In the beginning verses, it seems to be a recap of the consecration process for the altar.  The priests were to consecrate the altar for a 7-day period, sacrificing a bull each day for purposes of making atonement and consecrating the altar by anointing it.  This process was repeated for seven days!  Yes, I know that I have already written that, but I repeated it for emphasis. [Which may have been why God chose to have the Israelites repeat the process for 7 days:  It could not be emphasized enough that God is holy and that they shouldn't approach Him carelessly.]
  •      For the generations to come, the burnt offerings were to continue to be made regularly.  Two lambs were to be offered -- one in the morning and the other at twilight. 
  •      God's ultimate purpose for this consecration of the altar and of Aaron and his sons were so that God would dwell among them and be their God.  Note the many ways this is expressed:
  "I will meet you and speak to you,"
" I will meet with the Israelites," 
"I will dwell among the Israelites and be their God," 
"...that I might dwell among them."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment