- The lampstand, lamps and accessories are made of pure gold.
- The cups, buds and blossoms are of one piece with the lampstand.
- Seven lamps were part of each lampstand.
- A talent of gold was used for the lampstand and its accessories. This is about 75 pounds of gold (!) or, in its metric equivalent, 34 kilograms.
- Moses is instructed to make these items according to the pattern he was shown on Mt. Sinai.
Saturday, January 26, 2013
Exodus 25:31-40 The Lampstand (and its Seven Lamps)
"Make a lampstand of pure gold and hammer it out, base and shaft;
its flowerlike cups, buds and blossoms shall be of one piece with it.
Six branches are to extend from the sides of the lampstand
-- three on one side and three on the other.
Three cups shaped like almond flowers with buds and blossoms
are to be on one branch, three on the next branch,
and the same for all six branches extending from the lampstand.
And on the lampstand there are to be four cups
shaped like almond flowers with buds and blossoms.
One bud shall be under the first pair of branches extending from the lampstand,
a second bud under the second pair, and a third bud under the third pair --
six branches in all.
The buds and branches shall all be of one piece with the lampstand,
hammered out of pure gold.
Then make its seven lamps and set them up on it
so that they light the space in front of it.
Its wick trimmers and trays are to be of pure gold.
A talent of pure gold is to be used for the lampstand and all these accessories.
See that you make them according to the pattern shown you on the mountain."
Exodus 25:31-40 (NIV)