Friday, December 10, 2010

Genesis 27:1-13 Rebekah Cooks Up Some Deception

As Isaac aged, his eyesight diminished until he could no longer see.  He called his eldest son and asked him to hunt some wild game and prepare some tasty food for him.  After that, he intended to give Esau his blessing before he died.  Obediently, Esau headed out to the open country to hunt game.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, or rather, the tent, Rebekah had been listening as Issac spoke to Esau.  Perhaps 'eavesdropping' would be a more accurate word to describe her actions!  As soon as Esau left, Rebekah quickly called her own favorite son, Jacob:


"....'Look, I overheard your father say to your brother Esau, "Bring me some game and prepare me some tasty food to eat, so that I may give you my blessing in the presence of the Lord before I die."  Now, my son, listen carefully and do what I tell you:  Go out to the flock and bring me two choice young goats, so I can prepare some tasty food for your father, just the way he likes it.  Then take it to your father to eat, so that he may give you his blessing before he dies.'  (Genesis 27:6-10 NIV)


Jacob is understandably uneasy at this request.  I do not know if Rebekah had ever told her son about the things which the Lord had told her before Esau and Jacob were even born (See Genesis 25:23, especially "...the older will serve the younger.")  However, his hesitation seems to be based more upon a fear of getting caught in the proposed deception than a concern for his brother's welfare.  "...'But my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I'm a man with smooth skin.  What if my father touches me?  I would appear to be tricking him and would bring down a curse upon myself rather than a blessing.'  His mother said to him, "My son, let the curse fall on me.  Just do what I say; go and get them for me." (Genesis 27:11-13 NIV)  Jacob complies, and Rebekah was soon cooking her husband's favorite dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment